Monday, March 8, 2010

Listen

As corny as this may be, I love the movie You've Got Mail. I know, I know, it's not an Oscar winner or anything like that but I just love it. If you've never seen it, watch it. Make sure to listen and take note of the language.
"Don't you love New York in the fall? It makes me want to buy school supplies. I would send you a bouquet of newly sharpened pencils if I knew your name and address." -Joe Fox (Tom Hanks)
God I love that. It always brings a smile to my face because it brings out a feeling of familiarality; it's endearing. It's not the storyline that draws me into this movie because I can admit that it is predictable but the language is just so damn charming.
"When you read a book as a child, it becomes part of your identity in a way that no other reading does." -Kathleen Kelly (Meg Ryan)
Yes it does. I think that if I hadn't read as much as I had when I was a child I wouldn't be the person I am today. I most certainly wouldn't be an avid reader, or an English major I'm sure. I try my hardest to pass my reading habits onto my boyfriend, Tom. I feel that he should. It expands your mind in a way that movies cannot. The words reach out to your imagination. In a sense, this movie's words reaches out to me almost in the same way a book would. But that is just from a mix of a great writers and the articulate voices of the talented actors: Meg Ryan and, my favorite, Tom Hanks. Maybe I'm slightly swayed by this movie for another reason- Meg Ryan and Tom Hanks are two of my favorite actors and I LOVE Forrest Gump. Tom Hanks seems to play roles that I never get tired of. I can almost say the same of Meg but not to the same degree.
"There was a man inside the elevator who knew exactly what he wanted; and I found myself wishing that I was as lucky as he." -Joe Fox
We all have that feeling from time to time, don't we? I know I feel like that when it comes down to making a living, or picking what I want off of a Chinese take-out menu. My Lord, the decisions we have to make every day become mind boggling. Especially for someone like me who can be so unbelievably indecisive sometimes that it is aggravating.
"The whole purpose of places like Starbucks is for people with no decision-making ability whatsoever to make six decisions just to buy one cup of coffee. Short, tall, light, dark, caf, decaf, low-fat, non-fat, etc. So people who don't know what the hell they're doing or who on earth they are can, for only $2.95, get not just a cup of coffee but an absolutely defining sense of self: Tall. Decaf. Cappuccino." -Joe Fox
See! This is what my life does not consist of! Making the easy decision! How?! I live in New York myself and because we have so many of these options I become confused and my mind and stomach start jumping back and forth and the I get so annoyed with myself that I narrow down my top two choices and flip a coin. Sadly, depending on what I'm flipping for, I use the Joey from Friends method-
"Heads if it's ducks because ducks have heads." -Joey
"What kind of scary ass clowns came to your birthday parties?" -Chandler
It's odd, I'm fully aware of that, but it works for me.
"I love daisies. Don't you think that daisies are the friendliest flower?" -Kathleen Kelly
Let me be honest. I am currently reading Pride & Prejudice because of this very movie. Every time I have watched this I always wondered about Elizabeth Bennet and Mr. Darcy and I am determined to figure out what exactly their references to these two character meant and it always irked me not knowing. I am halfway down the road to understanding it now. This movie will come together more for me after I have gained the knowledge of these two characters that Jane Austen concocted from her own imagination.

No comments: